Why This Site Exists
- Peer Networking and Information Sharing- I am always looking for ways to increase my effectiveness as a software development manager, and intend to use this community to collaborate with other managers and programmers to share and learn from their experiences as well as share my own. This is one of my ways of giving back to the field that has fed my family for almost two decades.
- I like writing! – I have published a couple of programming books and several articles on legal technology. Those are great for the resume, but I’ve gotta be free, I’ve gotta be me. Writing an article to fit the space between ads, or on a topic that a publisher thinks will sell copy isn’t quite as liberating as the blogging medium.
- My Career – I’ll admit it. A big reason I do this is to enhance my credibility as an expert in the process of managing software development by demonstrating my experience, professional values, and management style.
- Recruiting- It can be downright hard to find and recruit top software developers. An important goal of this blog is to attract the notice of that exceptional talent and garner a bit of brand recognition when I go out to recruit them for my team.
Values Statement (e.g. my manifesto)
- I will focus on building readership by providing useful and relevant content of interest to it’s readers.
- I will not engage actively in techniques designed solely for SEO such as link-baiting, cross-linking, link carnivals, etc.
- I may post links to articles in relevant locations such as Reddit, Message Forums, Stack Overflow, etc., but only when it provides value to those communities and complies with their standards of conduct.
- The goal of this blog is not monetization. This doesn’t mean you won’t see an occasional affiliate link to a book on Amazon, or that there will never be any advertising on the site*, but I’ll try my best to keep it unobtrusive and avoid undercutting the other values of the site for the purpose of cash flow.
- Intellectual property of others (copyrighted or not) represents the hard work of a fellow human. I endeavor not to steal or otherwise improperly use other people’s material on this site, please notify me immediately if I have improperly posted any materials that you own and I will remedy the situation as quickly as possible.
- I will do my darndest to credit my sources, or at least provide provide a link to cited content or ideas. Please let me know if you see any improperly credited material in a post so that I can correct it.
* Occasionally, my blog hosting provider may insert ads into the site in exchange for hosting the site. I don’t really have any control over these ads nor do I get any revenue from them. If they get too obnoxious, please let me know and I’ll pay the extra fee to have an ad-free site.
Disclaimers and Copyright Notice (e.g. CYA)
- All of the opinion, conjecture, commentary, advice, commendation, condemnation, extrapolation and interpolation on this site is my own, and does not represent any other person or organization unless otherwise indicated.
- As previously noted, I am going to do my best to not infringe on other’s intellectual property. I’d appreciate the same consideration with regard to any of the original material posted on this blog. You can re-post information, just be sure to back-link it and cite the source clearly.
- Any endorsements of products or services posted here do not constitute any guarantee, warranty, or promise that they are suitable for any purpose. For example, if I brag about the Robo-Butler 2000 on the site and it eats your mother in law, I’m not paying for the funeral.
- I am a total grammar and spelling Nazi, but don’t want to be a hypocrite. Feel free to call me out if you see any errors on the site. That said, don’t expect a Knuth-Check. Embarrassing me should be reward enough.